[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Status of Wikimedia

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Tue Nov 8 12:46:08 UTC 2005

Regarding Jimbo's (and other's) sentiments re new proposals and
new-language proposals, and the frustration of our Zlabitorian friends,
allow me to suggest a possible solution: start your own wiki. That's
what I did.

I proposed a project to gather memoirs of historical events. After some
discussion on foundation-l, I didn't get much support.  Justifiably so,
because the project was half-baked and not proven.  (Thanks to the
community for gently pointing this out!)  So, with the help of a kind
Wikipedian (much appreciated, Erik!), I set up www.memorywiki.org myself
in order to refine the concept, work out the kinks, and see whether it
would do the world any good. I'm still doing all those things, and
invite you to judge for yourself. If you like what you see, I'd
appreciate your help.

The point is that wikimedia might benefit from a "minor league" policy.
If someone has an idea for wiki project, help them set it up, and tell
them to refine their project.  There is no teacher like experience.  If,
after an appropriate period of testing and development, the wiki looks
like it might be a good candidate for inclusion as an official Wikimedia
project, then the community can vote to bring it in. If the community
votes 'yes,' then the project moves to Wikimedia; if it votes no, then
the proponents *still* have a wiki and if they believe in it, they can
continue to develop it.  Everybody wins.

Best, Marshall Poe