[Foundation-l] checkUser live

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 09:31:15 UTC 2005

I guess that this policy is approved for now. if you have further
comments, please add them in the talk page. I archived all the
discussions, if you wish some to be kept on the live page, please move
them back.

The policy is here : http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CheckUser_Policy

To ask for CheckUser status, please see here :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions

To ask for information on a user, please go there :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Request_for_CheckUser_information

------

To summarize it very very shortly :

* on a project with an arbcom, the arbcom will decide for some editors
to have the checkuser status (they may or may not be on the arbcom). The
stewards will give access, per arbcom request.

* on a project with no arbcom, the community will have to vote for its
editors with checkuser access. A limit of votes number has been set on
purpose. I recommand avoiding using sockpuppet for voting. A wiki
community with 10 editors and 30 voters is likely to be frowned upon.

* if the project has no checkuser editor (no vote or too small a
project), the community can ask a steward to do the job.

* all those with checkUser status are submitted to the privacy policy.
Infrigment of it will lead to status removal (there will not be a
community global vote to decide a removal, as this is a legal issue
involving the Foundation; however, the local communities are welcome to
insure investigation and report of abuse cases).

Have fun, but please remember that this is a technical tool to fight
vandalism... not a tool to use routinely to control your peers; We are
not big brother...  by default, we *try* to trust :-)

Ant