[Foundation-l] Re: check user policy/Tor

Amgine amgine at saewyc.net
Sat Nov 5 06:59:42 UTC 2005

> Wiki projects do not need to know my IP address, and I'm not going to
> provide it. If you don't want my edits under those conditions, it's your
> loss

I agree entirely with this statement. When I compare (anecdotally) the
cost of accepting Tor edits with their benefit, the cost far outweighs
any gain. I would not easily suggest limiting any source of positive
contributions, but anonymizing hosts are not a net positive; quite the
opposite. We should not need to know your IP, but by insuring we cannot
know your IP you also add yourself to a class of users who are not
beneficial to the Wikimedia projects. This is an opt-in situation for
you, and Wikimedia has no ability to separate you from the spammers and
vandals who likewise prevent us from knowing their IP.

Anonymizers should not be considered a problem, but rather a very useful
identifying tool. Make their anonymity a feature, rather than a drawback.

Amgine