[Foundation-l] stewards and bot flagging

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 2 19:05:23 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

>Please see
>http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2005-October/032025.html
>
>Why could not bureaucrat set bot flags on their
>projects.
>They know the rules better than any steward. Would not
>that make sense ?

Speaking as a bureaucrat who could end up with this awesome
responsibility I admit that I favour a conservative approach to the use
of bots and templates.  The templates are relatively easy to identify
and deal with, but I often wonder about those bots quietly carrying on
their job in the background.  There are probably also those bots that
were set up a long time ago, and that should probably be deleted for
lack of activity.  All bots should be periodically reviewed to see if we
still need them.

Bots are apparently now treated as some kind of special user in the user
namespace, but I wonder whether they might be managed better if they had
their own namespace.  Any existing bot could also be moved there.

Ec