[Juriwiki-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Trademark violation of our 'MediaWiki' mark

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 15:59:03 UTC 2005

--- Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> That is where the Wikimedia Foundation may be in some trouble with
> Wikipedia content as there are several places where the Wikimedia
> Foundation disclaims any copyright to content on Wikipedia and other
> Wikimedia projects.  The Foundation really can't enforce a provision of
> the GFDL as a result if they don't have copyright ownership on any of
> the material.

That should be easy to fix. AFAIK, all we would need is to have a large group
of users who have contributed a good deal of content to agree to allow the
foundation to act on their behalf in cases that involve GFDL enforcement (the
exact wording is in the never-enacted user agreement legalese). In short, the
foundation would be a copyright enforcement agent for copyright owners who
agree to allow that. I for one would allow this for my 40,000 or so edits and
scores of pages of text I’ve contributed.

Besides, this would only be an issue for the rarest of cases that would require
legal action. Softer tactics should be the rule anyway.

-- mav