[Foundation-l] Re: check user policy/Tor

Amgine amgine at saewyc.net
Wed Nov 2 22:59:02 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> Personally I just started using Tor. So CheckUser doesn't affect me any
>more. As an added bonus I don't have to worry about Google tracking me
>either. Fortunately, most Tor exit nodes aren't currently blocked, though.
>If this changes, this workaround might go away. Hopefully the other policy,
>to allow (at least some) logged in users to edit through blocked proxies,
>will pass by then.

Having just spent a couple of evenings dealing with a Tor-using vandal,
I would personally immediately suspect any account using Tor of
sock-puppetry simply due to guilt by association. Secrecy and anonymity
are laudable, but since their primary visible use is to engage in
unethical and/or illegal behavior vis-a-vis Wikimedia projects they are
immediately deserving of suspicion.

For the same reason Wiki projects do not allow "public" accounts, there
is no reason to use anonymizing techniques when editing. You may
instantly and anonymously receive an account. Your IP will not be
examined except in unusual circumstances, and then will be handled under
a stringent privacy policy which protects your information even in the
case of wrong doing. For these reasons, I would personally be in favour
of blocking access, or at least editing, to all anonymizing services.

Amgine