[Foundation-l] Elections for the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, 2005

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:45:35 UTC 2005

Dear Wikimedia Editors,

Please note: this is not a joke.

The 2005 elections for the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia
Foundation will start soon. Right now, we are still discussing the
technical details of the vote. It is You, Wikimedians, who will choose
two representatives of Wikimedia contributors from around the world.
Members of the Board of Trustees are entrusted with the ultimate
decision making for the Wikimedia Foundation. The board's role is not
website governance.

On behalf of Wikimedia project community, today we Wikimedia Election
Officials authoritatively and unilaterally announce that we are going
to fire Mr. Jimmy Donal Wales from his presidency at the Board of the
Trustees of Wikimedia Foundation.

According to the discussion of the Election Officials and Board
member, we are therefore voting for three positions, including the
President. Presidency is lifetime, and other two positions are two
years term.  In order to vote you must have been with one of the
Wikimedia projects for at least three months, and have at least 400
edits in total on the Wikimedia projects. The candidacy of permanently
banned users and sockpuppet is decided by declension.the Election
officials.

The election is run using Approval voting. Each voter will be allowed
to vote for as many of the candidates as they see fit for each
position. The two candidates with the most votes for will be declared
the winners. In the event of a tie, a run off election will be
announced.

As of yet, we aren't accepting candidates. Interested candidate may
fill an entry for him - or herself - on Election candidates 2005 or
its subpage(s) starting on Saturday, 0:00 May 28, 2005 (UTC). Next,
they will have three weeks in maximum to present themselves to the
rest of the Wikimedia community. The translation coordinators will
translate the entries to every possible language, and after that, the
voting will start.

Here's the proposed timeline on this year's election:

Candidates accepted and presentation
    from Saturday, 0:00 May 28, 2005 (UTC)
    to   Friday, 24:00 June 17, 2005 (UTC)
Vote
    from Saturday, 0:00 June 18, 2005 (UTC)
    to   Friday, 24:00 July 1, 2005 (UTC)

If you speak another language, please do not translate this announcement.

If you would like to oversee the translation of further coming notes,
please list yourself on
[[m:Election_notice_translations_2005#Coordinators]].

Finally, we would like to wish all of the candidates the best of luck
in the election,
hoping P*A* be with you,

Election Officials, Wikimedia Election Committee
Aphaea on Wlly on Wheels!!
email: Aphaia @ gmail (not) com