[Foundation-l] Re: 10, 000 public domain paintings uploaded to Commons

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:20:27 UTC 2005

On 5/22/05, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Directmedia put the collection itself under the GFDL
>
> What does this mean, considering each individual image is purportedly
> public domain? Is this the "selection is a form of creative expression
> too" problem again?

Yep, although I don't see it as a problem.  The database from which
those images AND the info that it gathers are, indeed, as a whole, put
under GFDL. This does not hinder in any way the actual public domain
state of the individual images, which of course can be used as any
Public Domain material.

However, should you wish to have access to the entire database,
(collection of images AND information), to make your own CD/DVD of
those 10000 works of art, THAT is under GFDL,a nd you will have to
comply with the GFDL to release it.

As I understood it, Directmedia has actually acquired the rights to
the database from the Yorck Project in order to release it under GFDL,
which I believe they did not *have* to do and which I find a pretty
good thing.

Cheers,

Delphine
--