[Foundation-l] A license for the Ultimate Wiktionary

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat May 21 02:28:02 UTC 2005

Robin Shannon wrote:
> Just taking this off-topic a little. I just read RFC2229 (DICT), and
> it states that it uses UTF-8. I thought thier were various problems
> with using UTF-8, regarding asian languages, but i could be wrong...

Such as...?

We're already using UTF-8 for everything except a few of the older
European-language Wikipedias which are on an 8-bit ISO 8859 encoding,
and those will be finally converted when we upgrade to 1.5.

While UTF-8 is somewhat less space efficient in that range than some
alternatives, most alternatives are less convenient for many purposes.
Its coverage is equal to any other Unicode data encoding, and far easier
to work with for multilingual text than anything that's not Unicode.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)