[Foundation-l] Re: A license for the Ultimate Wiktionary

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat May 21 02:23:07 UTC 2005

Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:

> changing the license of a running project is difficult, but not that
> much.

I'm skeptical about this claim, as I think it's much easier said than done.

Does anyone know of collaborative projects that have actually switched
licenses entirely, even in the software world?

The only case I have any familiarity with is Nupedia, which I understand
changed from its homegrown license to the GFDL shortly before Wikipedia
was created (thus putting us in the licensing position we are now).
Since I believe all copyrights were assigned to Bomis, this was a rather
simple proposition, as a single copyright holder can just go ahead and
release the content under a different license. Changing licenses when
multiple parties are involved would be much more complex.

--Michael Snow