[Foundation-l] Wikiversitophia

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 11 13:09:04 UTC 2005

daniwo59 at aol.com:
>  This whole conversation would be more productive if we were  to
> discuss things like: who are the students, who are the teachers, levels of
> education, course curricula, teacher incentives, structuring lesson plans,
> structure of semesters, accreditation, meeting local educational standards  (which
> are delineated very rigidly), subject matter, interconnectivity between
> classes, extra-wiki learning, grading, acceptance standards, why and how a wiki,
> etc., etc., etc.

Yes. Many of these discussions have already taken place on
[[m:Talk:Wikiversity]] and should continue there.

> Sorry, but claiming that we are starting something new is little more than  a
> placebo for a poorly thought out project.

Well, first of all, there already *is* a Wikiversity effort on
Wikibooks, whether we like it or not. At some point we'll have to decide
what to do with that. There also is de.wikiversity.org, which was
silently created; I was the first person who publicly stated that it
should not be considered an official Wikimedia effort.

Secondly, I personally have not advocated launching Wikisophia anytime
soon and have made it clear that in my opinion, the project needs a much
better definition and research into its needs before its launch. The
fact that I am advocating that this process should continue under a new
name doesn't mean that I want it to be finished tomorrow.

It seems that many people equate discussion with "impatient people
wanting the project to be launched", perhaps because this is the way
that things were done in the past. Personally, I think the discussion
we're having is an important prelude to seriously rethinking this idea,
and properly defining its scope (I do not allege that I have provided
such a definition, merely an outline thereof).

Erik