[Foundation-l] Wikiversity=>Wikisophia

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:11:26 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Rebecca:
>
> Your accusations are uncalled for. I will responed to the substantial
> points of your letter.
>
> > a project that I and others have been keen on for a
> > long time has been already decided.
>
> Nothing has been decided. It is not clear at all that Wikiversity (or
> Wikisophia) will be launched, or what it will encompass. The procedure
> for new projects requires board approval and a vote, none of which has
> taken place.
>
> > It depends what you're talking about. Myself and the others who've
> > been pursuing this have a fair idea of how a tertiary-level system
> > could work.  If you've got a way to expand it to primary and secondary
> > education (without simply producing textbooks), I'm all ears.
>
> This is what I'm currently exploring through an evaluation of existing
> Learning Management Systems. The key question to me is what changes need
> to be made to our software to support all types of learning and assessment.

There is something I am not entirely understanding there. I have, for
one, no real clue as to what Wikiversity is all about, but Erik, are
you actually working/have worked on the launch/development of this
project before you discovered it existed not so long ago? (see a
concept all of sudden).

Why suddenly go through all these proposals and changes without
consulting the people who actually have been developping the project
in their own corner and own time, to find together a solution and
actually address the right community before launching any grand
community vote?

It is one thing to "launch" a project, it is altogether another to
make it live and make it sustainable, it seems to me that what Rebecca
has said is that having been a part of this project for a long time,
she does not exactly understand where and how suddenly we are talking
about changing the name and such. An understandable surprise.

It could also be that I have not understood a thing about what this
thread is all about.

This said, I very much agree with Rebecca that Wikisophia is way too
broad and does not actually bring anything. It akes me think of
something having to do with philosophy. I like the Wikademy idea. At
least it works in French. ;-)

Cheers,

--
Delphine