[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Fri May 6 09:28:23 UTC 2005

> Because someone posting someone else's material cannot put it in the
> public domain without the other person's permission, the click-through
> agreement does not apply to such content. The question then becomes,
> do we want to remove CC-BY or CC-BY-SA content posted by others? Given
> the above, I'd say that it's reasonable to label content under CC-BY
> as such and keep it. As for CC-BY-SA, GFDL, etc., the situation is not
> quite as clear, but for the sake of interoperability, I'd be inclined
> to be in favor of allowing such content when labeled. Wikinews stories
> are relatively independent from one another.
>
> If this becomes established practice, it may make sense to amend the
> copyright notice to say ".. is in the public domain where not
> otherwise noted."

Once again, many legislations forbid that authors put their work in PD.

Why ? Because publishers would be very happy to force them to do so !
It's a protection for authors.

So, chosing PD as a basis is a major legal flaw that will give wikinews
team a lot of headaches... and that will make me very busy on irc :)