[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Dariusz Siedlecki datrio at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:43:37 UTC 2005

Okay, okay, since the admin in question is me, I think I have to take
action and take part in this discussion.

First of all, yes, I'm the one to blame for everything bad what's been
said. But now, let me explain some things.

'My' decision wasn't final. I proposed to e-Polityka.pl, that either
they can license their content under one of the CC licenses, or the
articles we'll use on Wikinews will be licensed on one of the CC
licenses. There was no final decision which license will be used,
though I have to agree, I proposed CC-BY-NC as the first. I didn't
really gave much thought about it, so I should be blamed here, by even
proposing such a license.

Second - personally, I still wanted to talk with the staff of
e-Polityka.pl and persuade them to use some CC license, the less
restrict it would give, the better.

Third, right now, Wikinews is under PD. This complicates things a bit,
like someone else mentioned, but based on my email and the reply I got
at Juriwiki, a simple disclaimer in the news article should be okay to
use a different license.

On 5/5/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wikimedia lawyers? Since when have we had lawyers? Who the hell is this admin?
> Admins do not have any authority to enter into any agreement on behalf of the
> foundation without board approval.

"Wikimedia lawyers" - it was a mental byway (I'm not sure how to
correctly call it). By this I ment Juriwiki, as the purpose of that
list is to answer legal questions regarding Wikimedia projects. The
truth is, I didn't correctly express the commercial way of
e-Polityka.pl in my email, which brought confusion.

Also, you can't really call this an agreement which had to have the
Board's approval. This was "just" the community's decision, which we
first had to discuss. After all, if e-Polityka.pl would license their
text under, for example, CC-BY, there wouldn't be any problem
regarding the license, right? That's why we didn't contact the
Foundation with any questions, I just personally contacted Juriwiki
(first I was strongly oppose the idea of such cooperation).

Finally, to make my point clear. I have not made any official decision
by myself. Yes, I was wrong with even proposing the CC-BY-NC license,
but as you can see, there isn't any decision on our cooperation, and
it's still being discussed -
http://pl.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Wsp%C3%B3%C5%82praca_z_innymi_serwisami#e-Polityka.pl.
Though it looks like we've made a decision, I haven't moved the
agreement on the article page, I'm still personally discussing it with
the man who contacted us, and I'm trying to persuade them to license
their content in overall by some non-restrictive CC license. But it's
true - if it wouldn't be for this email, we'd probably have their
content under a none-commercial license.

Once again, I'm sorry for all this misunderstanding, as it happened
mainly because of me. I'll post again later, if we'll have an
agreement on another license with the portal.

--
Best regards,
Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki