[Foundation-l] meta-discussion for new project proposals (was Proposal for new project: Faith Wiki)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Jun 28 12:06:24 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller wrote:

> Sean Turvey:
>
>> Please be advised that I have posted a proposal for a new project.
>> The proposed name is Faith Wiki. The address is
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects#Faith_Wiki
>

> What is the justification for a new project?
>
> Best,
>
> Erik

I think it is time to have a serious meta-discussion regarding what it
going to take in order for the Wikimedia Foundation to accept a whole
new project, and what guidelines should be in place, as well as a
roadmap for what would have to be accomplished in order for such a
project to move from a "gee, this would be a cool idea" to "here is the
server space, let's roll!"  By a meta-discussion, I don't mean on
meta.wikimedia.org, but a discussion about proposal discussions.

The new project proposal page is getting swamped with ideas of varying
qualities, and the only criteria that I see for getting culled from that
page is strictly because it is an old idea... and that a rather
arbitrary decision as well.  Other than Wikinews recently, I don't see
much movement (or even desire from the board) to actually grant a
project a green light to start up and be given a separate co-equal
project space as a peer to Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource, etc.

I guess I'm asking to formalize this process, and to let people trying
to propose new projects realize just how difficult it can be to get a
major project started.  Wikinews did just about everything right, IMHO,
when that project proposal came about, and I would like to see that any
new project that is started have to go through similar standards before
it become an official Mediawiki Foundation project.

Steps I would suggest include:

1) Project description template filled out, including:
** More detailed project propsal made on a separate article on meta
(largely done for most new project proposals now, although of varying
quality)
** Sample "front page" of what the project would look like if it were
given a green light.
** Licensing issues in the disucssion, particularly if not specifically
the GFDL.
** Technical requirements, including what changes to software would have
to be made to make the project successful.
** Funding sources to help with basic startup costs, or who might be
willing to help sponsor the new project (goes with the earlier
earmarking discussion on this list).

2) Sponsorship of proposal by MediaWiki users.  This is mainly to show
widespread community support for the idea, and that it won't languish in
lack of use once started.
** A "threshhold" value be established before projects can move beyond
this point.  For example, 10 registered users agreeing to sponsor the
idea, and > 60% favor vs. oppose (or some other figure... this is just
an example).
** Advertisement of the proposal, on this list as well as in other
forums and contexts.  Also... spamming discouraged when doing this sort
of advertisement.  Try to search and find the potential community for
the project proposal idea.
** Respond to comments regarding proposal

3) Review by "proposal committee".  This is a new step, but I am
suggesting that a group of "veteran" Wikimedia (from all projects) users
help review project proposals that get to this stage (having passed the
earlier threshold requirements).
**Suggest to the project proposer ways to help improve the proposal
submission, review technical aspects, and in general help clean up the
proposal into something that can easily be digested by the board.  Yes,
I am volunteering.
**It would also be the job of this group to cull out and remove
languishing proposals on a the new proposal page, subject to general
concensus.  They should establish formal guidelines for what gets
removed and potentially what can be reinstated.
**Establishing a new "accepted project" page to (hopefully) get wider
review by the Wikimedia community of projects that have passed the new
requirements.  These would be considered "serious" propsals that are on
their way to become a new project, and should be put to a higher standard.
** The proposal committee would be doing some of the advertising at this
point, including front-page meta links to the new proposal, and formal
notification on this list (and other mediawiki lists, as appropriate).
** It should be possible for a proposal to die at this stage as well,
although a good proposal with popular support should survive this stage.

4) Formal presentation to the Wikimedia board.  While board members can
(and likely will) be involved in the earlier stages, this is the formal
stage where the board gives official comment regarding the status of the
project.  It can be sent back for more discussion, killed outright at
the discression of the board, or accepted.

5) The project has been accepted and is a peer to existing MediaWiki
projects.  Server space is found and content is being added to the new
project.

---------

Any other ideas on what process a project should go through to become
accepted?  What should the criteria be for being removed from the new
project proposal page?  Do we want to encourage/discourage anybody from
making these proposals?  What general guidelines should there be for new
project proposals beyond those already listed on Meta?  How can we keep
the board from getting flooded with new ideas, but have a chance to
review really good new ideas?

--
Robert Scott Horning