[Foundation-l] Re: Grants -- a proposal

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 10:21:13 UTC 2005

Angela a écrit:
> On 19/06/05, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I therefore suggest that donors have the possibility of earmarking their
>>donation. That is to say, they will have the ability to specify where they want
>>their money to go. In that case, one donor may give specifically for servers,
>>while another donor may give specifically to promote a language, print a
>>particular wikibook, or whatever.
>

> Isn't there a danger of this leading to huge resources for the English
> Wikipedia and not enough for the rest of the projects and languages
> simply because more people visit that and therefore decide to put all
> their donations towards that project rather than the Foundation's
> wider goals?

I do not think so. By projects, it does not mean "money for english
wikipedia" or "money for the japanese wiktionary", but rather "money for
the ultimate wiktionary", "money for wikimania", "money for bambara
development", "money for a wikijunior set" etc...

> It might make more sense to say we will spend grant money on certain
> projects, but I'm not yet convinced it makes sense for all donations
> to have to go towards specific tasks in this way.
>

>>    3.  People involved in specific projects will  naturally assume the
>>responsibility of "Project Heads" and naturally grow to  fill leadership positions
>

> I'm not sure how the topic of donations is related to this, nor
> whether having "Project Heads" is needed.
>
> On 19/06/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>This proposal helps the board to take decisions according to the
>>community wishes and at the same time, it allows editors to support
>>certain projects rather than others.
>

> Would community wishes be reflected by this though? Many donors are
> not members of the community, or not the editing community anyway, and
> vice versa. What if a large donor puts all their money towards a
> project that is not supported by the community? How could that be
> dealt with?

By previously agreeing on which projects to support or not.
If absolutely no one show interest in supporting ultimate wiktionary, it
would not be listed.