[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright and local liability

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jun 13 15:04:29 UTC 2005

Delirium wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> Second, for the case of non-bogus complaints (under German law) it makes
>> sense (usually) for us to comply with them out of the interest of
>> maximal reusability.  This is a huge grey area, but for example the
>> German Wikipedia policy of "no fair use" seems sensible to me.
>>

> This one I find particularly bizarre, because languages are hardly
> confined within countries---there are plenty of German editors on en:,
> which permits fair use, and plenty of non-German editors on de:, which
> doesn't.

Right, but it isn't so much about the editors, but about the places
where the content is most likely to be reused.  We naturally expect that
German Wikipedia will be redistributed by people in Germany (and other
places too).

I think it is likely that we will not be 100% consistent in our
policies, because such questions are generally left to the judgment of
each language community.  I consider it a difficult judgment call in
many cases.

--Jimbo