[Foundation-l] MP3 and OGG

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Jun 4 22:22:11 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>I am willing to defer on this issue to Debian.  Can anyone report on
>whether or not MP3s can be created and played with software that Debian
>has in their 'free' category?

Mp3s can indeed be both created and played with tools from Debian's
'main' (i.e. completely free, as opposed to 'non-free', which is
non-free, or 'contrib', which is free but depends on non-free
libraries).  One such tool that can do both is Audacity (see
[[Audacity]] on de:, en:, fr:, nl:, pl:, or zh:; Debian package 'audacity').

-Mark