[Foundation-l] Re: license evolution

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Jun 4 17:30:28 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> The point is that the clause is like signing a blank cheque.  You have
> no control over the way it will be changed in the future.  If you don't
> opt out of a future change with an explicit statement you will be
> assumed to have implicitly agreed to the change.

But we *do* agree to the change, and we require all contributors to
agree to the change.  That's why the "or any later version" clause is
important and so should remain on the site quite prominently.

If we eliminated the "or any later version" requirement, we would be
permanently stuck with the terms of the present version of the license,
terms which I think most people agree are inconvenient in some important
ways.

--Jimbo