[Foundation-l] IEEE LOM

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 06:10:53 UTC 2005

Hoi,

The IEEE LOM is a standard for providing Meta-data to the educational system. It is an open standard and it is being implemented in several
countries. Technically the standard exists into two parts. the technical labels and its localisations and localised vs universal content.

There was a Dutch organisation that asked in OTRS to host the Dutch Wikipedia so that it would be able to combine the Wikipedia content with
the IEEE LOM data. In principle there is nothing wrong with that. However if 50% of the Dutch data is of an universal nature, it would
mean that this 50% does not need to be entered for the articles in other languages. Hosting this metadata on the Wikimedia servers makes sense;
it allows for the opening up of Free content in a proprietary world. It would make a huge deduction in cost for every second language implementing the IEEE LOM data.

The questions I put to you are:
*   Are we willing to host open standard meta data for the educational world.
*   Are we willing to cooperate with organisations that are interested in implementing this data.
*   How will we manage such things; funds can be found to pay people doing this kind of work - can we consider this

Thanks,
  GerardM