[Foundation-l] Re: Brainstrorming at Kennisnet

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Thu Jul 28 08:56:47 UTC 2005

Hello

> Waerth did send a mail asking if Kennisnet would be willing to pay for
> access to statistical content. Kennisnet, the portal organisation it
> is, cannot fulfil such a request. There was however a discussion on
> how such data would be best hosted. Localisation and versioning were
> discussed. When you have statistical content, you want to know the
> date and the source of the content. アムステルダム, 암스테르담 and
> Амстердам have the same statistics it makes little sense to store this
> in many projects. Consequently the possibilities that Wikidata offer
> for this type of information and the possibilities that the Ultimate
> Wiktionary offer for localisation need to be considered. Kennisnet
> might consider helping with the creation of the infrastructure for
> such a project.

And in that same email I said that I would be utterly against such a
nightmare scenario of hosting those data at one place. It is yet another
project need to tend to while all problems with commons, a much less
farreaching similar approach, haven't been settled yet. Also I am just
being shown the reason that if I never get access to people of kennisnet
my ideas basically get fucked by the messenger.

It is really reassuring that kennisnet actually answers a mail I send
(NOT!) might this have something to do with Gerard telling them not to?

Walter/Waerth