[Foundation-l] Fair Use and Registered Trademarks

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:49:08 UTC 2005

Le 13 juil. 05 à 00:12, Delirium a écrit :

> Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>

>> Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, I don't think you can digitize some public domain work
>>> and  change its title unless you also change its content.
>>>
>>> At least in France, that would be forbidden by the moral rights
>>> legislation.
>>>

>> This is likely to be a huge, and perhaps incompatable difference,
>> between American and French law.  Changing and modifying public
>> domain works is commonly accepted, and often encouraged under many
>> circumstances.  That appears to be precisely what has happened
>> here with the Gutenberg Encyclopedia.
>>

> Indeed, there was a recent U.S. Supreme Court case unanimously
> confirming this---a company (Dastar Corp.) republished a modified
> version of a public-domain work of film and passed it off as if
> they had produced it themselves, not attributing or mentioning at
> all the original producrs.  The original producers (Twentieth
> Century Fox Film Corp.) sued, and lost, because under U.S. law (as
> confirmed in this case), the original author of a public-domain
> work has *no* rights of any sort, not even the right to be
> credited, since by definition public-domain works are not owned in
> any fashion by anyone.

Are you sure ?

It can mean that the author has no right to be credited, but does it
mean that someone else can claim to be the author ?

The french law solution would probably be similar : there is no
obligation to name the author of a PD work, but it would be forbidden
to claim the book for its own.

> See: [[en:Dastar Corp. v. Twentieth Century Fox FilmCorp.]]
>
> Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>

>> From what I see, based on some research I've just done searching
>> various web pages and trying to read court opinons, etc. (IANAL)
>> the use of a trademark is reserved for the company who holds it.
>> In this case we (or at least I am) trying to advertise the project
>> and discuss the project in public forums.  In this situation, I am
>> not legally entitled to describe the project as "Wikisource
>> Encyclopaedia Britianica, 11th Edition", because that implies
>> endorsement from Encyclopaedia Britianica, Inc.  This puts the
>> Wikimedia Foundation into a real legal bind if that trademark is
>> used widely, for example as a hyperlink from Wikipedia articles to
>> Wikisource, or even discussed outside of Wikimedia projects.
>>

> Well, this is a gray area of law, as most trademark law is.  There
> is room for acceptable use of a trademark when reporting factual
> information, however, even in advertising---Coca-Cola uses the work
> "Pepsi" in some advertisements, for example those that report the
> results of taste tests between the two companies' products.  Simply
> stating that a verbatim copy of the 11th edition of the
> Encyclopaedia Britannica is in fact "The 11th Edition of the
> Encyclopaedia Britannica" seems like it might be a mere factual
> statement and permitted, but I wouldn't be willing to bet anything
> on that.

It is :-)