Fwd: [Foundation-l] Fair Use and Registered Trademarks

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Jul 11 12:33:19 UTC 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>
>>There must be more to the story than what Michael Hart is
>>suggesting here.
>>
>Why do you think that "must be"?  Project Gutenberg is run by
>Michael Hart.  Who else should answer your questions?  A strong
>disclaimer doesn't always have a strong reason.
>
>When we digitize old (Scandinavian) encyclopedias, magazines, and
>other printed works in Project Runeberg, we never had to alter the
>title, but always reproduced the title as it was printed.  There
>seems to be no risk that readers should confuse the old issues
>with the current product.

It just seems as though the natural route would have been to simply
leave it alone and not call it something special like Project Gutenberg
Encyclopedia, but instead call it by its original name, such as exactly
what you just described, and about 99% of all items found in Project
Gutenberg.  A disclaimer like what is put on that particular e-text is
furthermore unusual, even for a PG text because it is in addtion to the
usual disclaimer found on most other PG texts.

What is more, there is another Encyclopaedia Britannica text in the PG
archive that does not have this disclaimer, although that text (e-text
#13600) does not appear to have the same scruitiny that previous e-texts
went through at the beginning of the PG archive.  It will be interesting
to see what happens when several more volumes are released for this
edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica, as they are currently in the final
stages of proofreading/assembly right now.

--
Robert Scott Horning
218 Sunstone Circle
robert_horning at netzero.net