[Foundation-l] Social issues for the newer projects

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:56:30 UTC 2005

Michael, thanks for starting such an interesting thread.

On 7/7/05, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:

> So, in that respect, Wikinews is quickly growing beyond the point where
> the effect you mention is highly significant. I also think that in terms
> of "quality content", the community has produced some excellent material
> so far - on par with the best Wikipedia has to offer.

Surely you exaggerate.  The pinnacle of Wikinews content is still a
hasty, impressionist memo next to Wikipedia's nuanced and excellent
monographs.

But that's just my opinion, and I mainly read in English.  It there
any way to decide this objectively?  Now there is.  We're having an
international media contest at Wikimania, with categories for
articles, text modules, and news created in the last year (along with
images, sound, and video).  Submit the best news content for review,
and we can compare lineups.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Competitions

Cheers,
   SJ

> While babies are cute and innocent, they can't do much besides screaming,
> consuming food, and excreting waste products. ;-)

But they are great at attracting attention.