[Foundation-l] Re: Social issues for the newer projects

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 17:40:36 UTC 2005

Michael Snow a écrit:
> These are some thoughts prompted by the incident on Wikinews recently
> discussed on this list. They are general in nature, and decidedly *not*
> directed at any particular individual. I venture to say that anyone who
> thinks they know what individuals I have in mind is *highly* likely to
> be mistaken. However, I think the general principles are important to
> consider, especially for those who are trying to shepherd the
> development of Wikimedia's younger projects (i.e., everything but
> Wikipedia).
>
> Wikipedia is clearly our most successful project. It attracts the bulk
> of our contributors and is easily the best at producing quality content.
> In the process, it has become a solid, well-functioning community. This
> is because it consists of people who can collaborate well, and for those
> who cannot, the system allows people of good will to exert various
> pressures until the problem cases either change their ways or leave.
> These factors are self-reinforcing and thus allow for continued
> improvement (this is not predestined, and we should avoid complacency,
> but that is a topic for another day).
>
> None of the other projects, in my opinion, is yet particularly
> successful at any of these things - attracting contributors, creating
> quality content, or developing a sustainable community. They are still
> in earlier stages, so I'm not saying they can't, or even that they
> should be further along than they are. And they do have fine content
> occasionally, but need the contributor base and the community atmosphere
> in order to bring the content to a higher level overall.
>
> The contributor base is a huge problem, because none of the other
> projects brings in enough new people on its own; they all grow by virtue
> of Wikipedia's coattails. But people strongly attracted to Wikipedia are
> more likely to stay there, so the other projects end up with those who,
> for whatever reason, did not fit in.
>
> Why do some people not fit in? In some cases it's due to legitimate
> disagreements over how broadly Wikipedia should extend, so we often talk
> about other projects as ways to accommodate content not included in an
> encyclopedia. This is fine, and people who are less comfortable in the
> Wikipedia community for this reason are not a problem. Let them work on
> the project they like best, and they can team up with those people who
> never would have even tried Wikipedia, but contribute now because they
> really love the idea of Wiktionary or Wikinews or whichever project.
>
> The problem is with people who don't quite fit in with our community
> ideals. By this I don't just mean NPOV, but the need for collaboration
> and consensus-building. This kind of person starts out on Wikipedia, and
> would likely have stayed there if they had been successful in that
> community. They don't leave on account of a block, nor are they even
> obviously violating any policy. But when they grow frustrated with the
> [...]

Nod. I think what you wrote here is very true.

A strong mind in a small community will have a major impact in the way
it develops. It is one of the major risk of small projects, especially
when the strong mind knows well the general structure and level s/he can
use on people. This is even more problematic in small projects isolated
for language reasons.