[Foundation-l] Issues regarding admin(s?) on wikinews, effects: globally

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 6 16:10:31 UTC 2005

Ilya Haykinson wrote:
> Ok, I'm really confused. There has indeed been some heated editing on
> Wikinews which caused the departure of one admin (who I hope will come
> back someday) and the temporary banning of another for violating the
> 3RR -- not an unusual thing.

Why is 3RR regarded as bannable policy on Wikinews?  It seems unlikely
to be needed at this early stage, and certainly if it was adopted
incautiously from English Wikipedia, this is a decision which should be
reconsidered.

Blocking an admin at such an early stage, and for such a trivial matter,
strikes me as something which should be generally avoided.

Kyle had previously written:
>>Erik/Eloquence/Xirzon are the one's I've been told

It is confusing and unfortunate that Erik uses different names in
different places, but it has been so for a long time, and is not
malicious at all.

Erik - in real life
Eloquence - on the wikis
Xirzon - on irc

I don't think this is a big problem, although as I say, it is confusing
and unfortunate.

--Jimbo