[Foundation-l] Block messages, SORBS

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 22:05:19 UTC 2005

Please change the message that blocked SORBS-IPs see on all wikis.  I
encountered it once myself, when I was in Houston behind a local ISP;
I don't remember its exact wording, but it was distinctly offensive.
(Is it a MediaWiki namespace message?)

This message should apologize for the inconvenience, and assume in
good faith that it is speaking to a good user trapped behind a bad
proxy.
* offer them a form to submit to request an account.
* don't tell them that 'they might be a vandal'...

To reduce the workload produced by the above form, you could also
* provide a mechanism for users to create /their own/ account if they
already have a known (and not day-old) account on some other Wikimedia
project.
* Ask users to do this before offering them the form

--SJ

On 7/1/05, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> Your IP address is listed as an open proxy in the [http://www.sorbs.net
> SORBS] DNSBL. You cannot create an account
>

> It is nice that I cannot create accounts anymore ...... it is neat that
> I am considered a vandal. Can we please stop the nonsense it becomes
> extremely irritating.
>
> Walter/Waerth

++SJ