[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 06:40:34 UTC 2005

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think... it is particularly difficult for me to see that the french
> wikinews was created while the majority of french editors did not
> support it, even though most probably still think it is too early, even
> though the 5 editors requirement is not here. What I fear is in
> particular that wikinews will be known as early as next week by french
> journalists, who will discover a totally new and empty wiki. I do not
> think this will be good image. And given the number of editors willing
> to work on it, I know that contrarywise to then english or deutsch
> wikinews, it will grow slowly. I would not be so disappointed if say 25
> people had expressed their desire to go for it, as I know we would soon
> see something.

I have to agree with Anthere here. Since there is a lot of overlap between
keeping the encyclopedia up to date and reporting on the news, there *must* be
a critical mass of people working on that type of thing already on Wikipedia
before it makes sense to have a separate news site.

So while Wikinews may very well coexist just fine in German and English while
not really harming updates to those corresponding encyclopedias, I'm not at all
convinced that this would work for language communities that have significantly
fewer editors. Thus the opinion of *those* language communities is paramount
and *must* be respected.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)