[Foundation-l] Grant meeting

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 15:09:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

As you all have probably seen, our budget is seriously
increasing every trimester.

It is my personal view that we cannot anymore entirely
rely on donations by visitors, but must seriously seek
other sources of income.

Last year, we were offered two grants and one prize,
and a third grant of 40 000 dollars was just offered.

These grants make the difference between succeeding to
run the site,

or not.

We need to pay more attention to grants. Most require
quite a bit of work, but the result is really worth
it.

For this reason, a meeting will be held on this
sunday, 4 PM UTC. If you wish to participate, please
come over to #wikimedia, we'll find a quiet room to
host us.

While the meeting is open, I or Angela or Danny
reserve the right to kindly ask a visitor to leave the
room if necessary. We wish to involve people as much
as possible, but only seriously interested and trusted
people :-)

Topics will be
* feedback on current grant requests (Danny)
* discussion over new possible grants
* Decision to seek for a couple ones.
* Teams setting up.

In particular, last year, we thought of asking a NEH
grant, but the deadlines were too short. We might try
again this year. The work to do is not only setting up
figures, but there is also a lot of work simply
describing our project, gathering statistics or press
clipings, helping on the layout, fixing typos,
improving style etc...

I invite you to read
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants

and join us sunday