[Foundation-l] "Fair Use does not apply to DSM material or any other APA/APPI content." um, wtf?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Dec 24 04:49:46 UTC 2005

Phoebe Ayers wrote:

>On 12/21/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Any File wrote:

>>>They want to keep for themselves they right of seling the definitions
>>>and the right of chaning them.
>>>
>>>I know that copyright apply only to intellectual right, not to facts.
>>>I can not proibits people to publish that 14-Carbonuim-14 or
>>>230-Thorium are radioactives.
>>>

>But these aren't hard and fast "facts" of physical science; they're
>interpretations.

Definitions are neither facts nor interpretations.  They are a priori
statements intended to insure that we are all talking about the same
thing.  They can neither be proven, disproven or observed..

>Though I don't think it's right, I can see their point in
>not wanting their content reproduced freely on Wikipedia; they are in the
>business of selling definitions, and the DSM-IV online from the APPI costs
>between $300-400 for individuals. For libraries the price is undoubtedly
>many, many hundreds of dollars more. If we got after it and posted fair use
>snippets of the majority of the definitions in the work, the APPI would
>probably lose money, as well as their editorial control.

It would probably be impractical for us to take anything but the
definitions from thes works, but I do note that the quoted comments say
"we do not allow anyone to alter our material".  The GFDL does allow
alterations, but also allows invariable sections.  We allow the
downstream user to do what he will with the material, with no
declaration of invariant sections.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have
all quotations declared invariant.

>>>If they claim that these definitions are covered by copyright rights
>>>they are claming that they are ficticious, just like a text of a novel
>>>is.
>>>

>>Copyrighting a definition that has the purpose of standardising a
>>concept across an industry doesn't make sense.  That would force those
>>who are not members of their cabal to define the term differently, and
>>thus effectively defining a different disorder.  The resultant ambiguity
>>would seem contrary to public policy in health care.
>>

>I think the idea is probably to make everyone part of their cabal, not to
>standardize the industry.

Withoiut standardized definitions for psychiatric disorders you end up
with Scientology.

Ec