[Foundation-l] Wikiversity - courses

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Dec 16 19:48:39 UTC 2005

Cormac Lawler wrote:

>If the board is
>nervous about the didactic model (eg. as Angela said that she was
>concerned that Wikimedia would be ridiculed if Wikiversity was widely
>advertised and (I presume) wasn't ready for incoming students), then
>it could still allow for the remaining two models (which ironically
>are at polar ends of the pedagogical spectrum), without too much fear
>of backlash from the press or wider public. However, I would add that
>excluding the didactic model for now would bitterly disappoint some
>contributors.

I want to add my $0.02 here asking for clarification about this issue as
well, and an understanding if the concern about no on-line courses is to
be something temporary (just during the start-up phase of Wikiversity)
or if this is a permanent exclusion on the part of the board.  It also
cuts deep into some major differences between Wikiversity and Wikibooks,
as Wikibooks is a place to create instructional materials (particularly
textbooks), but not appropriate to schedule a class and display syllibi
for a particular course (more of what Wikiversity is about).  The
reasoning for why on-line courses is to be excluded IMHO has not been
satisfactorily explained to the participants on existing parts of
Wikiversity other than just a simple whim or suggestion, nor what
philosophical camp is pushing for that concept.

Obviously there are hundreds of different opinions on what Wikiversity
ought to be, just based on the participation of the voting process of
Wikiversity in the first place.  Nobody is advocating that we create
instantly a multi-college advanced degree-granting research university.
 Even the best universities started with a simple foundation, and I can
give countless examples of even relatively "new" universities with
humble origins, and I think Wikiversity should be no different.  In the
case of Wikiversity, there is also an existing community that has
already gone off into some interesting directions, so any exclusions or
restrictions are also going to have to address current content that has
already been created and try to fit within the current framework that
already exists at Wikibooks and de.wikiversity.  The minutes of the
board meeting didn't seem to address that issue at all.

--
Robert Scott Horning