[Foundation-l] Bangkok bid

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Fri Dec 16 01:23:17 UTC 2005

> Can I start pushing the POV that Wikimania 2007 should be in Africa?
>
> Ec

Ermmmmm Bangkok is already busy launching a bid for 2007 ;) just to
inform you ....  I finally found some Thai wikipedians interested in the
idea. One of whom has organised conferences before. Asia is host to some
big languages and a few of the larger wikipedia's. Bangkok has direct
flights to all continents but South America. Visas are absolutely no
problem for almost any nationality. Local costs are extremely low. Meals
can be had for 1 or 2 euros, also every major cuisine and many "minor"
ones are catered for, so even if you do not want to eat Thai food you
have choices aplenty. The price if the youthhostel in Frankfurt will put
you in a great hotel here. Rooms are available from 3 euro's and up, you
usually pay per room not per person! And last but not least we do not
need to hold the conference in Bangkok. Many beachresort have excellent
facilities. So we could have a wikimania at the beach!

Waerth/Walter