[Foundation-l] Anons cannot create pages on english wikipedia?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 16:10:30 UTC 2005

--- SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, The Cunctator wrote:
> > On 12/5/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> For the record, I very strongly support this. This is due to the fact
> >> that almost all, not just most, new pages created by anons on the
> >> English Wikipedia are borderline to complete crap.
> >
> > Do we have stats on that?
>
> New, usable articles created by anons accounted for around 40% of all new
> articles.  This ignores speedied articles, etc which might inflate the
> figure in favor of anon-creation.
>
> Lots of them need wikification and start life as stubs; I wouldn't call
> that "crap".

When I used to work new page patrol I found that most of all IP-created articles were deleted or
listed for deletion/copyvio. I would call those crap. Most of the remaining ones had significant
clean-up issues that needed to be fixed and/or were nearly useless stubs. I would call those
borderline cases since they add little in comparison to the increased maintenance burden on the
community. Most of total + most of remaining = almost all in my book

-- mav