[Foundation-l] Jimbo's fantasy...

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 13:26:44 UTC 2005

--- Frieda Brioschi <ubifrieda at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd love to do it one day per month.
>
> But I'd prefer turning off new articles creation (for users and anonyms) too.

A monthly clean-up holiday (at least for the English Wikipedia)
 I think that is an absolutely
wonderful idea! We could kick it off with a whole week in, heck, the whole month of January. After
that it could be the 15th of each month.

At the very least it will give us a chance to catch a breath; keeping up with all the vandalistic
and dodgy edits to articles on en.wikipedia’s recent changes was like trying to take a sip from a
fire hose. I thus stopped even looking at RC some time ago.

I hope some good will come from this whole embarrassing episode. Our entire history thus far has
emphasized quantity over quality. It is high time that some balance is put into that equation. We
could also use these clean-up holidays to reflect on how better to keep a good balance. Team
editing works pretty well, but team patrol is very hard to do so far. We need better tools to
enable that.

-- mav