[Foundation-l] Re: Sources and sourceability

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Dec 5 17:23:52 UTC 2005

Brian wrote:

> Danny originally brought this fact up because he is writing a
> reference book as part of a series of books to be published. Every
> single one of the statements he made in the book had to have a source.
> He said it took several months for every one of his facts to be
> checked against every single source. This is how it works in the world
> of publishing. We have simply side-stepped this out of laziness, in my
> opinion.

This may happen with some higher-profile and better-funded works, but
I'm also an academic, and I'm quite certain that this isn't normal
practice.  I know for a fact that MIT Press does not hire CS and
Engineering experts to meticulously review every line of the books they
publish, for example, and even with textbooks quality-control is often
directed primarily by the author (this is part of why there are *always*
lengthy lists of errata discovered within a week of a new textbook's
release).  Even journal peer-review is often much more spot-checking
than one might think, with the exception of a few very high-profile (and
well-funded) journals like _Nature_ and _Science_.

-Mark