[Foundation-l] Re: Sources and sourceability

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:31:15 UTC 2005

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can just provide my personal history here. I appear in the credits of
> several popular reference works as everything from contributor to assistant
> editor-in-chief (a horrible title, I might add, but then again, so was the  book).
> I have worked on these books for Simon and Shuster, Facts on File,  Macmillan
> (before it was gobbled up by Simon and Shuster), Reader's Digest,  Henry Holt,
> and Continuum. In each book, the facts were checked as Brian  describes. In
> fact, I remember one senior editor at Simon and Shuster boasting  about how
> they would pay grad students a certain amount of money for every  mistake they
> found. They were eager to find errors. I now have a manuscript of a  book that I
> wrote for Marshall Cavendish sitting on my desk. Every sentence was  numbered
> and checked. I have been asked to help source the material. I will be  happy
> to provide the email exchange.

I must add my similar experience there. I wrote several reports and
studies for institutions and academic fora, I always have to add the
maximum of elements to source it, and it's rarely enough.

I would enjoy using Wikipedia for my studies, but it's not possible as
of today. I would love if it could evolve the right way.