[Foundation-l] Re: Sources and sourceability

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Sun Dec 4 11:40:06 UTC 2005

The NY Times picked up the Seigenthaler story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/weekinreview/04seelye.html

The following statement stroke me as interesting:

"On an electronic mailing list for them, J. Stephen Bolhafner, a news
researcher at The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, wrote, "The best defense
of the Wikipedia, frankly, is to point out how much bad information
is available from supposedly reliable sources."

I think this doesn't invalidate the use or importance of citing
sources and steadily improving quality, but just emphasizes how
Wikipedia needs to get users to think for themselves. That may be
obvious for everyone here but maybe not for the rest of the world.

Overall, the article is reasonably friendly, IMO.

Dirk