[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 2 23:48:05 UTC 2005

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> I will tell you why we are different. We are different because we are
> not a professionally produced publication. We do not have the pretence
> that we know it all. We invite everyone to contribute and these other
> publications do not. When you, and here I repeat myself, do not care
> for the people who have never cited anything and make them out to be
> wrong as a consequence, you do not understand why we are different.

This is absolutely fundamental to what we are doing!

> Again, citations have their place but do not quote your sources
> relating subjects like religion because they are all hopelessly point
> of view. The only thing you can achieve there is that you show that
> someone published a point of view. Citations and sources are a double
> edged sword, they either allow you to clear up disputes or they allow
> you to destroy what differentiates Wikipedia from these "normal
> published textbooks, including encyclopaedias".

In other words citations should be used to help the reader make up his
own mind, not as tools for making up his mind for him.

>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> The policy says: "The goal of Wikipedia is to become a complete and
>>> reliable
>>> encyclopedia. Verifiability is the key to becoming a reliable
>>> resource, so
>>> editors should cite credible
>>> sources<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cite_sources>so that
>>> their edits can be easily verified by readers and other editors."

Sometimes this kind of debate seems to be between those who understand
rules without reading them and those who read rules without
understanding them.

Ec