[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 2 18:42:51 UTC 2005

SJ wrote:

>On 11/30/05, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
>

>>The Soi case.
>>
>>On the Dutch wikipedia I wrote the article [[soi]]. It was also written
>>on the english wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soi)
>>
>>According to the CITE principal this article should be deleted right now
>>

>Actually, a quick google search turned up a few relevant citations
>(one from Wikitravel, in fact).  I added them to the English article.
>It is very very hard to find articles which are at once encyclopedic
>and verifiable, but have no suitable reference either online or in
>print.  I cannot think of an example atm.

This is the things-we-take-for-granted category of articles.  We may
dispute why they were done that way, but it's unquestionable that it's
the way it's done.

In North America house numbering is even on one side of the road and odd
on the other. In some places the numbers start from 1 where the road
begins, and in others it conforms to a predetermined grid of "100"
blocks.  It took a while to understand when I was looking for an address
in London that the numbers went up one side to the end and down the
other.  Tokyo took a different kind of adjustment when I found the
numbers going around the block.

We become accustomed to the way things are done in our home towns, and
never think of needing citations to prove it.

Ec