[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:34:14 UTC 2005

SJ wrote:
> On 11/30/05, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
>
>> The Soi case.
>>
>> On the Dutch wikipedia I wrote the article [[soi]]. It was also written
>> on the english wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soi)
>>
>> According to the CITE principal this article should be deleted right now
>>

> Actually, a quick google search turned up a few relevant citations
> (one from Wikitravel, in fact).  I added them to the English article.
> It is very very hard to find articles which are at once encyclopedic
> and verifiable, but have no suitable reference either online or in
> print.  I cannot think of an example atm.
>
> ++SJ
Hoi,
I find it remarkable that this CITE thing may break one of our
fundamental reasons for success. It will drive people away when it is
used as a tool to justify deletions. Why will it drive people away,
because it raises the entry level to a point where many people will just
no longer bother to do something. Yes, there may be an EDIT button, but
without a citation it will be gone.

Having citations is a good thing but please realise that it is best used
when controversies arise. It is then part of the instrumentarium to come
to a NPOV. When it used on its own I expect it to prove disastrous for
the influx of new people into our community. Certainly if this is deemed
to be necessary to be  followed by all the projects that do not have the
maturity of the English language wikipedia.

So, when you in the en.wikipedia decide to have this new deletion
policy, consider the fallout it may have elsewhere.

Thanks,
   GerardM