[Foundation-l] Wikinews - Licensure straw poll

Dori slowpoke at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:58:35 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please consider that fair use is not an option for some (a lot of?)
> > Wikipedia's.
>
> One would think that all Wikipedias would be subject to the same set
> of copyright rules, since they're all operated out of Florida.  I've
> never understood why people think that the language content is written
> in has any impact on the law such content is required to comply
> with....

One should not because it can matter. Say you made an illegal death
threat against someone in your city, but you did it by posting it to a
web site hosted in some country where that's not illegal. Which law
would apply to you? If you do something illegal in your city/country
the law applies to you there in addition to any laws from the country
which hosts the web site if it has agreements with your country. Same
thing with copyright, the editors need to abide by their laws, or
there may consequences in their country, and they need to abide by the
laws in Florida, USA or there may be consequeces for at least the
Foundation, if not the editor.

Dori