[Foundation-l] Re: wikistats (was Information flow)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Aug 26 13:36:59 UTC 2005

Jakob Voss wrote:

> Cormac Lawler wrote:
>
>>> Collecting statistics from full database dumps is a slow and heavy
>>> process.  We could do better.  But only if we know which stats to
>>> collect.
>>

> Most statistics can be created out of the database dumps but first you
> have to know how to get it, where to put it and how to treat it.
> I have updated http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Export but you
> still need some hardware and programming skills.

There are many statistics, particularly user counts and attempts to
determine authorship of a particular artile or revision histories of
articles, that simply can't be obtained from the Special:Export feature,
as it is currently implemented.  And for other statistics that would be
useful, I fail to see how the Special:export feature is any different
from simply scraping the HTML page itself.  In short, you need a full db
dump to do most statistical analysis.  I wish that you could get user
(contributor) information through the special:export pages, but I havn't
been able to get it.  That is, who did what and what has been added by a
given contributor.  What is there in the special:export function is
terriffic, but it is only a good start.

--
Robert Scott Horning