[Foundation-l] Wikigame

Jody Fulford jodywysteria at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 19:57:45 UTC 2005

    I have an Idea for a Wikigame that perhaps, with
your resources and skills, you could develop and
market to generate income to help finance the Wiki
Foundation. The idea is a gift to the foundation,
should you decide to accept it, free of any
encumbrances, though I would like to be credited for
the original idea.
   I thought of the game while exploring the "random
article" feature. I consecutively generate two random
articles and attempt to navigate from one to the other
using the links in the articles.(e.g Black
Guards->Ship in a Bottle(TGN episode)) Of course it
doesn't work 100% of the time but that can be worked
out by limiting  the random generation to articles
that will link. I find it educational as well as
entertaining in that it requires the player to read
the article and formulate the best route to the
destination.
   Once you begin playing with the idea you will see
that there is a lot of room for developing software to
facilitate several variations of this theme: A
solitary mode with it's own scoring system and a
multiplayer mode. The software could ensure that
pathways exist from the starting point to the
destination article.
   Various scoring systems are possible. Points
awarded for time, shortest route, points deducted for
backtracks, loops, rereading the destination article
and so on.
   I believe that with a little work this idea could
be developed into a marketable form that could
generate income for the Foundation and allow it to
become self pamatronizing(a word I use to avoid the
gender specific connotations of patronizing).
    If you consider this to be a potentially viable
concept I would be more than happy to participate in a
discussion group concerning it's development.
                              Sincerely
                              Jody Fulford