[Foundation-l] Re: Improving navigation of WMF pages on meta

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 12:00:49 UTC 2005

On 21/08/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think the template for navigation is not really the problem. The
> problem is that the content of the pages is either non complete, or
> outdated, or just plain missing. I suggest we improve the content before
> any big modification of the template itself.

I disagree - in setting this up I read every page on meta related to
the Foundation. With the exception of the meta budget page (redundant
with the WMF wiki page - something that patently must not be edited),
everything people ever desire to know is on meta. It's just buried
under all the other (mostly abandoned) pages.

Think about what people want to know:

*Who runs the Foundation - the Board
*Where the money gets spent - the Budget
*Who does what - the Departments
*How does the place work (nerd pages) - the Servers
*Anything local to me? - the Chapters
*I'm a journalist - Press

Have I missed anything there?

Put it another way: visit, say, http://www.volvocars.co.uk/ . Do they
list links to the descriptions, prices, specs etc to every model from
their front page? Of course not. Yet we do.

Why?

Dan