[Foundation-l] Re: Resignation as CRO

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 18 00:43:18 UTC 2005

I normally try to avoid "me too" posts, but I feel I should speak up to
say that I agree with virtually everything Erik Zachte wrote, and thank
him immensely for taking the time to compose that thoughtful message.

I want to add some thoughts on the transparency issue he raised. A very
critical part of managing any organization, especially one as committed
to ideals of openness as Wikimedia, is reporting back to everyone about
your activities. Given the transparency of most actions on a wiki,
producing such reports is especially important for off-wiki activity.

In particular this applies to the board, the officers (including those
of local chapters), and the developers. I trust all of these people and
the processes by which they were chosen, but we still need to hear from
all of them regularly about their work. The proliferation of non-public
mailing lists and wikis adds to the concern. I understand that some
matters cannot be announced at the outset, and that deliberation and
delay may allow for a more thorough report. But on the other hand,
disappearing behind closed doors, not to be heard from again, is not an
acceptable option.

With the developers this is a longstanding problem, and they struggle
constantly with more pressing issues, like a simple lack of manpower
(womanpower would certainly do as well if we can recruit some female
developers). I'm guessing we could use three or four times as many
developers before we'd have enough of them to spare one to spend much
time reporting. I think most people are willing to give a lot of slack
here as long as the sites keep running.

For the rest, because the issues they deal with are more frequently
"political", people will be more uncomfortable with a lack of
transparency. I see some effort to deal with this, but I'm afraid that
even among those of us who are deeply interested enough to be on this
list, people frequently feel out of the loop on issues of concern to
them. I have tried to contribute a little myself toward more thorough
reporting (and hope to help more in the future), but the overall task is
a full-time job and I already have one of those.

Keeping people informed is essential to sustaining trust, and makes a
tremendous difference in whether they will accept the decisions you make.

--Michael Snow