[Foundation-l] Re: An other attempt for Announce-l; central info about wikimedia tech status and info

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Wed Aug 17 23:37:30 UTC 2005

Cormac Lawler schreef:

> moment, because Walter's question is one we all have and was voiced at
> Wikimania and so we should answer it. So do we need it, or is it
> duplicating something we already have?
>
> Cormac

Yes? You all have voiced that question? Great. That is a start.

Of it would be duplicating something we already have; on some level yes.
  If you watch the postings of the technical mailing lists and the bugs
of Bugzilla and the technical IRC channels I suppose you can find this
information also. But is hidden inside many other information.

It is not practical. it is like if you work in a company then tech
support will send  an email to all the users the inform them that the
file server will be down form 16 hours. The will not assume that you
have read the technical notice somewhere hidden in an obscure part of
the Intranet and not inform there users.

Sending a clear notice to an central point to inform the users of a
system about the status is so normal that it should not be something to
discuss about.
--
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie
http://www.wikipedia.be