[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 17:30:40 UTC 2005

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> We should get some hard facts before excluding the US completely from
> consideration.

Exactly. Part of the bid process for each potential host city can and should
look into these issues. We should also look at where people are likely to come
from and at what total participation would be for any event in any city bid.

No nation should be excluded at this point. Each bid should be looked at in its
entirety. Some parts of the bid may be less than ideal (such as access from
certain other nations or cost of travel), but other parts of the bid could very
well make up for that.

We could also explore ways to help mitigate against worst cases (such as the
foundation contacting the host city’s government beforehand to see if tourist
visas could be more easily granted for the event ; I’m sure many governments do
that for conferences).

In the future we may also want to have national WikiMeets.

-- mav