[Foundation-l] Re: Australian chapter (was Re: Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20)

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 16 16:42:38 UTC 2005

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> I was curious and had a look there is this "PUBLIC FUND ON THE
> REGISTER OF CULTURAL ORGANISATIONS" thingie I would think that it
> might fit the bill. Then again what do I know I live in cloggie land
> :)

I thought that was the closest one too. But I didn't think Wikipedia fit
the description:

"its principal purpose is the promotion of literature, music, a
performing art, a visual art, a craft, design, film, video, television,
radio, community arts, Aboriginal arts or movable cultural heritage"

Do we promote literature? Well, it depends on your definition of
literature, but it seems like a long shot. A list of registered
organisations is available at:

http://www.dcita.gov.au/arts/arts/?a=24048

Even if we overcame that hurdle, there's a second one which is just as
scary, which is that we'd have to be considered to be "in Australia":

: To be in Australia, the applicant (or the relevant part of the
: applicant's organisation) must:
:
:     * be established in and operating in Australia, and
:     * have its purposes and beneficiaries in Australia.
:
: Purposes or beneficiaries do not have to be in Australia if a fund is:
:
:     * an overseas aid fund, or
:     * a public fund on the Register of Environmental Organisations.
:
: For these funds, it is still necessary that the fund itself be
: established and operating in Australia.

And an overseas aid fund must be "solely for the relief of people in a
country declared by the Minister for Foreign Affairs to be a developing
country," so we wouldn't be one of those either.

: If the overseas activities are merely incidental to its Australian
: operations, or minor in extent and importance, an institution or
: authority can still meet the ‘in Australia’ requirement."

I think that rules out a fund with its primary purpose being to put more
servers in Florida.

-- Tim Starling