[Foundation-l] Re: Google Techtalk

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 14:26:32 UTC 2005

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> The Wiki way is that you trust people, you listen to people, and
> you
> don't engage in power plays when you're criticized.

Knowing how to respond to criticism is, well, an art, and one that
takes much practice before getting right. I also think that it's hard
enough for native english speakers. It is much more frustrating to
try to respond to criticism well using a foreign language and coming
from a different cultural background.
I call for the exercise of patience.

> > If Erik is going to be micromanaged in his daily goings and
> comings
> > about this, that, or the other, then, he's not an Officer of the
> > Foundation.
>
> I think this is not really where the problem lies.  This isn't
> about
> Erik being micromanaged, it is about him responding to questions
> and
> very mild criticism by accusing people of micromanaging and
> suggesting
> Anthere resign from the board.

I think there's some disagreement between Anthere and Erik that
predates the thread. They need to settle that between themselves. I
also understand how Anthere feels, and I would call on Erik to be
kind with her. Ant, on the other hand, needs to remember that when
the rider wants to horse to run, the rider shouldn't pull on the
reins.

> That is not the wiki way of trust and co-operation.

Actually, I think wikis work in spite of lack of trust and
cooperation. There's been plenty of lack of trust and cooperation,
and yes, the road gets bumpy, but the wiki trucks on. Amazing, no?

I'll agree though that it makes things much more pleasant.

> I agree completely that we should reward people for boldness, and
> that
> we can not and should not micromanage.  I think having a discussion
> about the exact parameters of that can be worthwhile, but I also do
> not
> think it is particularly relevant to this particular case.  The
> problem
> as I see it is unprofessionalism in terms of cutting off such a
> discussion by turning it instantly to questions of who should
> resign.

I don't recall Erik calling for Anthere's resignation. I think I
would have caught that. What he said is that he felt _he_ would have
to resign...

As far as professionalism, I think we can do better than that. Many
professionals I know do it for the money. I see wikipedians as an
extended family of people from all walks of life who share a common
dream. Yes there are family feuds, the odd uncle (you know who you
are Ed), and the terrible kids who never tire of the same old pranks,
but there is also the bond of friendship and common cause that drives
us all to support and encourage each other to be better and to work
harder.

Many people express disgust at the underhanded tactics, political
maneuverings, and downright lies that occasionally pepper our mailing
lists. I too find them unpalatable. However, people are able to rise
above these sordid details and see the future shining ahead like
sunlight between tree leaves on the trail ahead.

It is through adversity that we shape our character. Both
individually and as a group, wikipedians are gaining knowledge,
wisdom, and skills in dealing with difficult issues. I know that
personally, I have learned a lot about myself and have improved in
capacities through my involvement in wikipedia. I know it's not
always easy, but I keep going, and things get better. Much better.

I would like my fellow wikipedians to think of the implications of
our work on our civilization, and then rise above petty infighting.

Please forgive my preachy tone, I haven't had coffee yet :)

Erik, great job. Keep it up. I for one appreciate your efforts.

Ant, great job. Keep it up. I for one appreciate your efforts.

Jimbo, ditto.

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
chris_mahan at yahoo.com