[Foundation-l] Re: Google Techtalk

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Aug 14 13:48:16 UTC 2005

Christopher Mahan wrote:
> Jimbo, let me remind you how wikis work: you see something that needs
> doing, and you do it. The details gets sorted out later. (I never
> thought I would have to say that to you.)

Yes, of course, but that is not the issue here as I see it.

The Wiki way is that you trust people, you listen to people, and you
don't engage in power plays when you're criticized.

> If Erik is going to be micromanaged in his daily goings and comings
> about this, that, or the other, then, he's not an Officer of the
> Foundation.

I think this is not really where the problem lies.  This isn't about
Erik being micromanaged, it is about him responding to questions and
very mild criticism by accusing people of micromanaging and suggesting
Anthere resign from the board.

That is not the wiki way of trust and co-operation.

I agree completely that we should reward people for boldness, and that
we can not and should not micromanage.  I think having a discussion
about the exact parameters of that can be worthwhile, but I also do not
think it is particularly relevant to this particular case.  The problem
as I see it is unprofessionalism in terms of cutting off such a
discussion by turning it instantly to questions of who should resign.

--Jimbo